Changes to Retiree and Departing Faculty/Staff Email Accounts
- January 20th, 2022
- in HR News
Access to ua.edu email account after departure from the University
- Faculty — For faculty voluntary separation, access to email accounts will be removed 120 days after separation. Faculty with a legitimate email access business need that may affect University operations and/or students may request continued access for a specific time period. This request must be approved in advance by the associate provost for faculty affairs or their designee.
- Staff — For staff voluntary separation, account access will be removed the day after separation.
New Retirees (as of Feb. 1, 2022)
- Faculty — User email account access will continue with a retiree designation placed in the extension of any outgoing messages (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org). This change will be managed by UA, and no action is required. Faculty using an @ua.edu address to manage accounts as a username or login for accounts external to UA will be able to continue using it for that purpose. However, any messages sent to or from that @ua.edu email address will automatically change to the @retiree.ua.edu account.
- New staff retirees’ @ua.edu email accounts will be discontinued one day after date of retirement. Staff retirees with a legitimate email business need that may affect University operations and/or students may request — with advanced approval at the direction of Human Resources — that access be continued for a specific time period.
- Faculty or staff retirees who remain on or return to the University payroll and have a legitimate business need affecting their participation in research, University operations or academic programs may request exclusion from the retiree footer and email alias for a specific time period. This request must be approved in advance by the associate provost for faculty affairs (or designee) for faculty or appropriate associate vice president for staff.
Previous Retirees (prior to Feb. 1, 2022) Using University Email Accounts
- All current faculty and staff retiree @edu email addresses currently in use will be changed to email@example.com. This change will be managed by UA’s Office of Information Technology (OIT), and no action is required. Retirees will continue to log in and access their email account with the firstname.lastname@example.org account. Additionally, Microsoft multi-factor authentication continues to be required to access the account.
- The new email address is only a change to the email address name. All of the existing emails will remain in the account, and all emails sent to the @ua.edu email address will continue to be delivered. All new outgoing mail from the account will be sent with the new @retiree.ua.edu account name.
- Current retirees should begin using the new email@example.com account as their primary UA email account beginning Feb. 1, 2022.