1. Are student employees eligible to receive unemployment?
2. Will we be able to continue to keep Federal Work Study students on payroll?
3. Are Student Assistants (not Federal Work Study positions) eligible to continue working during this period?
4. Are Student Assistants required to continue to work?
5. Am I eligible for the CARES act for students?
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act contains a section that allows for distribution of funds to higher education institutions through the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF). These funds are to be used by colleges and universities to provide aid directly to students who have experienced a disruption because of the coronavirus crisis.
Consistent with Department of Education (DOE) policy and guidance, these funds will be distributed based on a student’s Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is derived from information submitted by students on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2019-2020 with the largest amount of funds going to those students with the highest level of need as determined by their previously-filed FAFSA.
For more information please see https://healthinfo.ua.edu/cares-act/