- What are the advantages of using the online employment site?
- How do I find out what jobs are available at The University of Alabama?
- How do I apply for positions at The University of Alabama?
- How long can I use my application to apply for vacancies?
- What if I do not have a computer or access to the WEB?
- Where can I complete an application?
- What information will I need in order to complete the application?
- Can I save my application before completing it?
- Do I have to fill out the work experience and education if I plan to attach a resume?
- Will I be able to attach my resume?
- When/how can I make changes to my application?
- Why would I have to make changes to my application?
- How do I print my application?
- How do I apply for a job?
- Can I apply for more than one job at a time?
- Can I attach a resume and cover letter?
- How soon will I hear something or how will I know if I qualify?
- What happens next?
- I missed the deadline - can I still apply?
- Can I apply directly with the hiring department?
- I am having a problem with my computer that is stopping me from completing the application or applying for a job. What can I do?
- The ability to save your application form online for re-use on future job openings.
- The ability to update your online application with specific skills and experience related to the posting.
- The ability to access and review the job requirements while completing the application.
- The ability to submit your application immediately and directly to the hiring department, minimizing the risk of missing a deadline or loss of the application.
- The online application saves time when you want to apply for multiple jobs at one time, or apply for several positions throughout the year.
- The ability to keep track of the status of your application and the recruitment process.
- The ability to learn about job openings and apply for positions at any time and from any computer with access to the web.
- Identify PCs on campus that are available for use.
- Many public libraries have PCs available for use by the public.
- Attach resume, cover letter, and references in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
- Copy and paste or type in resume, cover letter, and references.
- Creating a login user name and password. This will enable you to come back and apply for additional positions as well as check on the status of a position.
- Creating your online application- this can be done at any time. You may also search open positions before creating the online application.
- Apply for a specific position using your online application.
Creating an Application
Applying for an open position
There are a number of advantages to using the new online employment site. Some of these include.
How do I find out what jobs are available at The University of Alabama?
The job listing, for all non-faculty positions, is available 24 hours a day at http://jobs.ua.edu on any computer with WEB access.
How do I apply for positions at The University of Alabama?
You must first complete the online application at http://jobs.ua.edu on any computer with WEB access. You may then view open positions and apply to any listed by answering job-related questions. After you have submitted your initial application your information will be maintained in our database under the user name and password you have chosen. You will be given the opportunity to edit your application as you apply for jobs thereafter.
How long can I use my application to apply for vacancies?
Applications remain on file indefinitely. Applications can be updated any time. If your contact information, educational history, or employment history change be sure to update your application.
What if I do not have a computer or access to the WEB?
There are a number of ways you can get access to our online employment site:
Creating an Application
Applications are accepted via our online employment site. Using the internet, go to http://jobs.ua.edu to create your application. Once you have completed your application you may apply for any of the open positions listed on the Search Postings page by clicking on "apply for this position".
What information will I need in order to complete the application?
You will be asked for information about your educational history and your work experience. Be sure to gather all of this information before beginning the application process. It is important that the information you enter on your application is current and accurate. It will be used to evaluate your qualifications for the job opening for which you apply.
Can I save my application before completing it?
You must first complete all of the required fields on page one (identified by a red asterisk to the left of the description) before the application can be saved. If you do not have time to complete the entire application, you may come back later and complete the application. To insure that your application is saved, click the appropriate icon to save your application (Save and return to previous page, Save and continue to next page or Save and Stay on this Page). You may return later and edit the application before applying to a specific job posting. You must remember your user ID and password to go back to your application.
Do I have to fill out the work experience and education if I plan to attach a resume?
The information you provide on your online application will be the primary information used to evaluate your qualifications for each job for which you apply. Therefore, we highly recommend that you complete the work experience and application on the online application.
Will I be able to attach my resume?
After completing the online application and selecting the position for which you would like to apply, you will come to a screen that allows you to do one of two things:
When/how can I make changes to my application?
Changes can be made to your application at any time. However, once you submit an application for a specific position, you cannot go back and make changes to the submitted application. Any changes you make to your application will be included for any new position for which you apply.
Why would I have to make changes to my application?
Any time your contact information changes (address, phone number, email address, etc) you need to make those changes to your application. If you have acquired additional skills, education, or work experience, you should make those changes to make sure all of your qualifications are considered by the hiring manager.
How do I print my application?
Before submitting your application you will have the option to view it. When your application opens in a new browser window, using the tool bar at the top of your computer screen, click on File and Print or use the printer icon and follow the prompts on the screen to print your application.
Applying for an open position
The application process has three steps:
Can I apply for more than one job at a time?
Yes, once you have completed your online application through our online employment site, you can apply for multiple positions that are currently open and on the Job Posting List. Even days or weeks later, all you have to do to apply for another job is to log back on to the online employment site and apply-the application you originally submitted which will still be in the system and available for you to update and/or submit for another job opening.
Can I attach a resume and cover letter?
You will be given the chance to attach an electronic resume or cover letter as you apply for each position.
How soon will I hear something or how will I know if I qualify?
During the application process you may be given the opportunity to answer job-related questions. You must answer the questions to be considered for the job. Applicants will know immediately if they meet the minimum educational and work experience requirements. If there is a requirement for additional skills testing, you will be given instructions at that time.
What happens next?
When you have completed the application process, including answering the Supplemental Questions and skills test (if required), the system will forward your application to the department for review contingent on meeting the minimum requirements. The hiring department makes the decision as to which applicant is interviewed and which applicant is selected to be hired.
I missed the deadline - can I still apply?
Once the deadline (closing date) has passed no applications will be forwarded to the hiring department. Please continue to visit the applicant site and apply for new jobs as they become available.
Can I apply directly with the hiring department?
No. The online recruitment site is the central intake point for all University vacancies with the exception of faculty vacancies. Only those applicants applying through the online recruitment site can be considered.
Be sure you are using either Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher or Netscape 4.79 or higher. You may email our office at email@example.com with the specific problem and someone from the Human Resource Service Center will assist you.